About Us Admissions Academics Community Online Campus Library Clinic Giving Contacts
News & Events
Student Bulletin
Photo Gallery
Q & A
Q & A
Questions regarding I-20
Name Admin Date Dec 20, 2010 3:05 PM

What is and why do I need to get I-20?

A Form I-20 is a government form that tells the U.S. government that you are eligible for F-1 Student Status. You need a Form I-20 to obtain an F-1 student visa or status, or to keep lawful F-l status when transferring or changing schools within the U.S.

How to get I-20

From outside the United States

 1) Apply to, and be accepted by, an SEVP-certified school.

2) Prove that you have enough money to study and live in the U.S. without working illegally or suffering from poverty.

3) When a school accepts a nonimmigrant applicant, it issues a Form I-20 for initial attendance.

4) The prospective nonimmigrant student must pay the SEVIS I-901 fee at www.fmjfee.com.

From within the United Stat: Change of Status

1) The prospective nonimmigrant student must be in the United States in a valid nonimmigrant status and eligible to change to F-1 status (See USCIS website on who may change status).

2) Be accepted by an SEVP-certified school, receive a Form I-20, and pay the SEVIS I-901 fee.

3) Use a Form I-539 to apply to USCIS for a change of status

4) Current nonimmigrants in F-2, M-2, B-1, and B-2 may not begin taking classes until the change of status is approved.

Other classes of nonimmigrants may begin attending school but their SEVIS record will not be activated until the change of status is approved. F-1 and M-1 benefits do not start until the change of status takes effect.

5) Be prepared to depart the United States immediately if the change of status application is denied.

You can get  general information on I-20 by going to the following websites.





If you need need specific information about I-20, you can contact us by  calling us at (310) 756-0001.

13 Job Opportunity admin Oct 8, 2012 5,089
12 Practical Training Guide Jung Aug 30, 2012 8,417
11 Job opportunity- I am an employer Admin May 23, 2012 5,287
10 Where can I find out about job opportunities on and off campus? Admin May 16, 2012 5,567
9 Where can I get a Student ID card? Admin May 16, 2012 5,409
8 Student complaint Procedures Admin Feb 23, 2012 5,403
7 Academic Counseling Admin Feb 23, 2012 5,082
6 Orientation Admin Feb 23, 2012 5,247
5 New International Students Admin Feb 23, 2012 8,680
4 "International Student Policy" Admin Feb 23, 2012 5,597
3 Question regarding taking a vacation ? Admin Dec 22, 2010 8,926
2 Questions regarding I-20 Admin Dec 20, 2010 7,780
Total 2 Page 1 / 1 12