Life University Requirements
University of South Los Angeles requires that all international students holding non-immigrant visas must maintain comprehensive health insurance while enrolled. Students will be charged the fee for enrollment in the system-sponsored student health insurance plan. The fee is automatically charged to your account when you register for classes.
This requirement applies to all students who are not U.S. citizens, lawful U.S. permanent residents, asylees, refugees, or undocumented aliens.
If a student can demonstrate existing coverage of a comparable comprehensive health insurance plan from a source other than the Life University student insurance plan, you may be eligible to waive the mandatory insurance fee.
For consideration of a waiver, you must adhere to all requirements of the waiver process by the applicable deadline.
Health Insurance Waiver
Students with alternative insurance that meets or exceeds the University requirements should request a waiver of the student health insurance fee.
The university has the discretion to determine what constitutes sufficient documentation demonstrating approved health insurance coverage. Acceptable proof of coverage must be written in English and money listed in U.S. dollars.
Students will be required to waive out of the insurance requirement a week before registration. Otherwise, they will be required to pay the full amount of the insurance premium for that quarter and receive a refund of their premium upon successful completion of the waiver process. Students will receive an email confirmation after submitting insurance cards and benefits of existing policies.
Waiver Application Submission Period
- Fall 2013: September 30 - October 18, 2013
- Winter 2014: January 1 - 24, 2014
- Spring 2014: April 1 - 18, 2014
- Summer 2014: July 1 - 18, 2014
|Required for Waiver of Medical Coverage
||Fall 2013: 9/30/13 - 12/31/13
Winter 2014: 1/1/14 - 3/31/14
Spring 2014: 4/1/2014 - 6/30/14
Summer 2014: 7/1/14 - 9/29/14
|Health Coverage Minimum Requirements
||Has to be owned, headquartered and operated in the United States.
Medical Benefits is unlimited per accident or illness.
Repatriation of Remains in the amount of $7,500.
Expenses associated with the medical evacuation of the exchange visitor to his or her home country in the amount of $10,000.
A deductible not to exceed $500 per calendar year.
A policy underwritten by an insurance carrier with:
- An AM Best rating of "A-" or above
- An Insurance Solvency International, Ltd (ISI) rating of "A-I" or above
- A Standard and Poor's Claims Paying Ability rating of "A-" or above
- Or a Weiss Research, Inc. rating of "B+" or above
- Offered through or underwritten by a federally qualified Health Maintenance Organization (HMO) or eligible Preferred Provider Organization (PPO) as determined by the Health Care Financing Administration of the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services.